- Young Frankenstein is closing, never to star Cloris Leachman.
- 13 is closing
- American Buffalo opened, then said it was gonna close, then said "maybe I changed my mind, I don't wanna" but then really did.
- Forbidden Broadway (!) and Gypsy are going.
- Hairspray and Spamalot and Sale of Two Titties.
- a safe revival of Guys and Dolls (thank god at least for Oliver Platt)
- a partially-safe, partially-Spanish revival of West Side Story
- Mary Louise Parker in "I'll go see anything Mary Louise Parker Is In"
- a musical that was more exciting in Central Park, and wouldn't have lost all of its buzz if they'd only direct-transferred while Bush was still president.
- some Kung Fu
- Vanities, although haven't we been hearing about that for years?
- Becket, being performed not by Ian McKellan and Patrick Stewart. At least not on this side of the pond.
- Dolly Parton
- Will Ferrel
But this year, you can tell the investors all have tighter purse-strings. And it'll continue to stay that way.
So until consumer confidence bounces back, it's Dolly Parton In Manhattan, Kung Fu, and other than that it may become 1999 all over again--that is, lots and lots of safe revivals...